Orange County residents are preparing a vigil for Tuesday’s U.S. Supreme Court hearing on Prop 8. These historic oral arguments will be watched closely by people across the country and around the world.
In traditionally conservative Orange County, a candlelight vigil will “Light the Way to Justice” at 6:30 p.m., at the Ronald Reagan Federal Court House in Santa Ana, to show that people from all backgrounds believe the country is ready for marriage equality.
The schedule for Tuesday is as follows:
- 6:30 – 6:38 PM “This Little Light of Mine” performers – Rev. Darryl W. Kozak (Men Alive) and Shannon Lee Blas (Jazz Vocalist)
- 6:38 – 6:43 PM Welcome – Kevin O’Grady, Executive Director, The Center OC
- 6:43 – 6:45 PM Intro of Legal Speaker – Andreas Meyer, OCLBA
- 6:45 – 7:10 PM Legal Speech – Christy Mallory, The Williams Institute
- 7:10 – 7:15 PM Transition Speech – Karyl Ketchum, Orange County Equality Coalition
- 7:15 – 7:30 PM Candle Lighting Ceremony – Interfaith Coalition
- 7:30 – 8:00 PM Diverse Speakers from community – Coordinated by PFLAG
- 8:00 PM-ish Final thoughts/Wrap-up/Goodnight – Anna Barvir, President, Orange County LGBT Pride
The organizers’ Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/events/132152766952838/?ref=22) says: “This is not a march, a fight or a demonstration – this is a peaceful show of solidarity, a stand for LOVE, not hate.”
Most of the speakers are new voices for the cause of civil marriage equality in Orange County, which is emblematic of the growing support in Orange County, as well as across the country.
Category: Orange County