On Tuesday, May 22 – Harvey Milk’s birthday – San Diego will celebrate the unveiling of the street named in honor of the LGBT civil rights leader.
Event details follow:
Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 5:00 pm at the corner of Harvey Milk Street (Blaine Ave.) and Centre Street
- The National Anthem will be sung by San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus & San Diego Women’s Chorus.
- Speakers at the event will include: Nicole Murray-Ramirez – City Commissioner Todd Gloria – Council Member, District 3 Anthony Young – Council President, District 4 Stuart Milk – Founder, Harvey B. Milk Foundation Dwayne Crenshaw – Executive Director – San Diego LGBT Pride Delores Jacobs – Chief Executive Officer – The LGBT Community Center.
- with refreshments, inside the LGBT Community Center, will follow the program.
“Tomorrow in San Diego history will be made. After the tireless efforts of a group of community leaders, LGBT civil rights leader Harvey Milk will be honored in the same way we honor leaders such as Cesar Chavez and Martin Luther King Jr.,” said Dwayne Crenshaw, San Diego LGBT Pride Executive Director.
“Harvey Milk dedicated his life to leading our community in the struggle for equal rights. The unveiling of Harvey Milk Street will mark a symbolic moment in our history and a step in the right direction towards achieving the truly American value of equality.”
- Harvey served proudly as a member of the United States Navy – including time served in San Diego as a diving instructor.
- Harvey Milk’s ground breaking election in 1978 as one of the world’s first openly gay elected officials – and its most visible one – symbolized the freedom to live life in full authenticity to millions of LGBT women and men around the world.
- Harvey served less than a year in public office before his assassination, but his life profoundly changed a city, state, nation and a global community. His courage, passion and sense of justice moved the nation and stirred the very core of an oppressed community; bringing forward new hope and a new vision of freedom.
- ‘HARVEY MILK STREET’ APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY – FIRST IN THE COUNTRY HAPPENS IN SAN DIEGO
- SAN DIEGO on track to be FIRST CITY IN COUNTRY to have a HARVEY MILK STREET
- HEY ORANGE COUNTY, GOT HOPE? FRIDAY’S HARVEY MILK DAY CELEBRATION HONORS MILK’S MESSAGE OF ‘HOPE’
- SAN DIEGO LGBT PRIDE ANNOUNCES NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- SAN DIEGO HUMAN DIGNITY FOUNDATION (SDHDF) HONORS EXTRAORDINARY CONTRIBUTIONS
Category: San Diego